I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted, SORRY. I’m finally ready to begin mixing sound.
Over the summer I recorded all of the foley and sound effects. In late summer and early fall I’ve been editing the sound tracks and through the past couple of weeks — organizing them for the mix (see here).
It’s been a very busy couple of months! Sonically, the film sounds great.
I’ll be mixing the film by importing all of the audio tracks into Audition — hence why I spent a great deal of time editing and organizing my clips before the mix. I’ll start of course with the dialogue and room-tone tracks; then work my way through more constant foley tracks, such as footsteps and cloth passes. The rest will follow.
I’ve also been working on the score in my “spare time”. It’s heavy on the percussive side — which I liken to a heartbeat or a ticking clock. I’ll have to explain this in greater detail in the future.
One portion of the mix I am extremely concerned about is cleaning up dialogue in a few scenes where we were forced to use a sound recorder that was different than the one used for 80% of the shoot. This particular recorder was a bit quieter, slightly unbalanced with more noise. I didn’t have time (or money) to do any ADR — and if you watch this scene you’ll understand that the ADR would take an enormous amount of time.
I’m going to start mixing tomorrow. I deserve a night off 😛